- In November 1998, the Phelex Foundation funded RMB 32,300
to support development of a Duzhong Farm in partnership
with villages and Huangxiekou Elementary School.
- An anonymous donor adopted the Project in memory of Mr.
Arthur Dubow in 1999.
- In 2001, professors at the University of Agriculture in
China discovered the Duzhong Tea, and the school produced
40 Kg of processed Duzhong tea, which brought in income of
RMB 28,976 after taxes to the school. Community Council
was then responsible for the distribution of RMB 21,900
to needy students. (see the chart below for tuition aid
distribution). Because Duzhong tea is new to the market, the future remained uncertain and carried some risk.
- In the spring of 2002, the people's government of Huangxiekou listed the tuition aid program into the structural adjustment plan of rural industry, and ceded 8 mu of land at no cost, expanding the tuition aid program field to 45 mu.
- In the autumn of 2002, the program produced 30 kg of Eucommia (i.e. Duzhong, a type of herb) bag tea; domestic experts approved the quality.
- In 2002, school children, who participated in Eucommia planting, won several awards at the ‘Hubei Youth Creation Contest of Science and Technology'.
- Beginning in 2003, besides funding needy children, the school spent RMB 500 from program proceeds for subscriptions to over 10 newspapers and magazines such as <Science and Technology for Elementary School> and RMB 300 on rewarding excellent pupils.
- In March 2003, the program funded 4 extremely needy pupils, 120 needy pupils.
- In September 2003, the program funded 4 extremely needy pupils, 144 needy pupils.
- In December 2003, the program was deemed a model of tuition aid programs.
- In 2004, the program generated RMB 57,000 , and in March, RMB 20,160 was spent on funding 252 needy pupils .
- In September 2004, the program funded 302 needy pupils, costing RMB 15,100.
- In the autumn of 2004, the Overseas Chinese Tea Business Foundation ( OCTB) donated RMB 30,000 to the school for the purchase of a tea-making machine. At the end of the year, the school, the PF and volunteers came together in Wuhan and decided to accept business support and enlarge the production scale. They proceeded to sign an agreement of intent.