- The Phelex Foundation funded the project of the Tea Garden
in partnership with the village in 1997. The total funding
was RMB 40,390.68, which was used to revive a 30 mu abandoned
- To ensure the success of the project, tuition aid program
was provided to 23 needy students, 34.8% were girls.
- Besides generating tuition aid, the project aimed at providing
all children a free nutritious meal once or twice a week
since the living condition was so hard for the families
in Shennongjia District.
- In 1998, the Tea Garden project gained an income 0f RMB
10,000 through selling raw tealeaves and processing tea.
In October 1999, the Tea Garden brought RMB 9,780 income.
- In 2000, school staff and parents formed Community Council,
which is responsible for the use of proceeds and fair distribution
of the tuition aid.
In May 2000, the Foundation provided RMB15,000 to the project.
In June the project again gained RMB 8,699. More students
benefited from the proceeds of the project. (see the chart
below for details)
- In 2002, Shuiguohu Elementary School in Wuhan City started
an exchange program with Muyu, and music teachers took turns
to teach at Muyu Elementary School.
- Ms. Wendy Tam in the Untied States was very touched by
this tuition sustainable project and made contributions
to Muyu Elementary School, which helped with the purchase
of some music instruments. The Wendy School Band is in progress,
which will bring joyful experience to the students beginning
- Wendy School Band was setup
on Sep. 3rd, 2002 and the school received the package of
stationeries mailed by Ms. Wendy.